Friday, March 4, 2011

Buying Shoes for Kids

The number of times in a year that I run to the malls to shop for my kids' shoes can definitely be counted by the use of my fingers.

Shoes for Salve
My husband and I usually buy them shoes before school opening, of course, that's to match the school uniform, and sports shoes for the P.E. class.

Sometimes, we buy them another pair if an occasion calls for a specific kind. On top of these,  my kids each have two pairs: one for casual walking or strolling, and another for Sunday wear.   


It's part of our home economics that unless and until the kids' shoes are worn out that they get to have a new  pair. This part actually arrived for, at least, my kids' Sunday shoes. So, last weekend, we all spent scouting the Ayala Center (Cebu) for their shoes bearing in mind a set of criteria.

Shoes for Yentl
For Salve, her Sunday pair of shoes is among the latest in girls' flats from S&H: made of silver-dusted and pink-colored synthetic cloth, and with silver and red shiny studs design at ($8.86).  What I like about Salve's pick is its flowery in-sole. 

For Yentl, we tried about six styles but no pair fitted her, so we ended up getting her a Tweety silver-white-blue stride. The plus factor for Yentl's pick is that from $13.30, we were able to get the pair at $6.64. The in-sole is well-padded that makes very comfy.  And for both shoes, good thing they are all "velcro-ed", which makes fastening very easy.   

Having all two girls (Salve and Yentl) is quite an advantage for me, in terms of buying shoes, because I only have one department to scrutinize -- the girls' shoes section. If I have both girls and boys, I bet, I (as well as the saleslady) will have migraines while hauling boxes in the shoes department. That is why, nowadays, people resort to buying online as a very wise form of shopping; I completely understand their predicament.


When it comes to children's shoes, I find it best to do regular shopping with my husband. Other than the reason that he gets to pay for them, my hubby is a good critique.  Because he also knows our girls very well (quite expected for a father), he has a very good fashion sense in selecting the best shoes for my girls.  The common scenario is that, either I choose, he evaluates and approves, then if the kids okay, we buy them, or the girls get to pick, we do the critique, and if they're fine, we buy. Of course, there are negotiations and explanations in between, especially if the choices are too expensive.

As far as we are concerned, shoes do not reach the cashier's counter without our "pre-approval considerations." Actually, there are only two: (1) style and comfort that should always go together, and (2) the price, which should be justifiable for the kind of shoes to be purchased.

Style and comfort are twin criteria, hence should co-exist; absence of one will render one's purchase very  useless. This makes sense, really. Why? What would you do with a grand style when you're not comfortable with your toes in them? And it's going to pay less service when your shoes are fully comfy but transform you as somebody from either the circus or the outer space.  

Style, therefore, should not be taken for granted.  I always believe that shoes mirror a person, his character and personality, and that shoes are accessories that when used stylishly can enrich a person's self-esteem. 

Although my kids are still too little to talk about such big words as "self-esteem," I believe they are not too young for me to help them in this area of personality development. I only aim for them to grow up as normal as the other kids of their age, away from the ridicule of other people because of the kind of shoes they wear.

Price is a  big consideration. In these times, mindless shopping is a no-no. It's now a rule of thumb to be able to get something that's worth your pay, bearing in mind quality, comfort and style.  Do not ever splurge on kids' shoes (unless you're a billionaire), because their foot sizes grow overnight. In line with this, make sure to buy one size bigger so your child can maximize the length of time that she or he will be wearing them.

--Ireen--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...